Thursday 27 October 2011

All Off...

Short hair rocks...this is the message I got from a fellow blogger in a recent bloggers' meet and I quiet agree to it.

The short hair look wasn't always a part of me. As a kid my sister and I had long hair. Our annual visits to the salon happened when we visited our maternal grandparents in summers. Nani used to take us to the parlour and get our hair chopped because she could not deal with all the inhabitants in there. Yes...Yes...I mean lice. Speaking of which I should remind you the old jingle that said, 'jahan mile do sar, juon ko mila naya ghar' and as kids we really din't know how to stay away from those heads.

All the chopping and snipping stopped when I went to the senior section i.e 6th grade. It was an all girls' convent school and we were supposed to tie our hair in neat plates as part of our uniform. For 6 good years my hair weren't touched. Sometimes they grew so much so that I could just fold my plates into double. Those with thick rimmed glasses made me look like a crazy nerd. A time came when people (read parents' friends) started assuming that I was the eldest of the three sisters.

One day I just folded my hair to make them look shorter. The very next day my elder sister drove 5 kms on a freezing winter afternoon and took me to a parlor to get my hair shortened. The rest of the incident was pretty much like a scene from Roman Holiday. Remember when Audrey Hepburn asks an astonished barber to chop her long tresses? 'All Off', she says and the hair dresser furiously cuts them. Well, my dresser didn't get that angry but yes, she was pretty amazed. Finally, I chopped my hair from waist length to small blunt and regained my position as the younger sister.


18 comments:

  1. I agree that short hair rocks. I have had long hair for most of my life, though for the last 3-4 years I have not allowed it to grow beyond shoulder length

    ReplyDelete
  2. Short, clear and nicely put Shirin. But, I'm a little unclear - where was the love for your hair in this episode? It deviates from the theme of loving your hair and it loves you back. That's my opinion. Your narration made me thing that why didn't you try out something before saying 'All Off'?
    A.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Arif....well thats my love for my hair...chopping them off...:).

    My hair is genetically good and I really don't need a lot of products to keep them healthy. Getting a regular hair cut is my way of loving them and they love me right back and make me look younger. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love my hair tooo ...liked ur post hope u'll read mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks @GeetS....I definitely will.

    ReplyDelete
  6. :) same here...i had cut my hair real short, literally the crop cut :) and now finally have grown back...a hair cut acts like a therapy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agree! I too have a long hair now and I look a couple years older than I actually am. Short hair surely rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Pratik @TheBluntBlogger @Harsha...Wow! nice to see so many people in support...:) thanks guys.

    ReplyDelete
  9. the post too rocks ;) Audrey Hepburn caught my attention :D that's a still from one of my favs - Roman Holiday right?
    nice post too :D all the best :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Chandrashekhar...thanks. Yes it's a still from Roman Holiday. One of my favorites too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. good one puttar. ur mom wud love to read it and give her special comments on it.thats for sure you know.it certainly unfolded a footage of those days.luv u.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really a great take on hair. short hair have their own advantages.
    best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A well written post -enjoyed it immensely- keep the good work going and good wishes

    i Guesss u would like this..if u like plz promote it..

    http://www.indiblogger.in/indipost.php?post=88938

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow Audrey Hepburn..kind. Yes convent have such strict rules. Nice to know you got your position back..(of younger sister)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...